What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a way of paying attention to the present moment using mind-body awareness techniques such as meditation, breathing and movement. It helps us become more aware of our thoughts and feelings so that we are better able to understand and manage them, thus reducing emotional stress and creating a sense of calm.
Mindfulness is becoming increasingly popular as research continues to demonstrate the positive effects it has on improving the quality of life of people suffering from various (mental) health conditions. Participants of mindfulness training programs, such as the one we offer in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), report decreases in stress and increases in self-esteem.
MBCT and depression
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is a widely studied, evidence based group course combining mindfulness techniques with elements from cognitive therapy. It was originally designed as a treatment for preventing relapse in depression. In fact, research has shown that MBCT is equally as effective as anti-depressants in preventing depression relapse.
Mindfulness is also suitable for anyone interested in relating differently to their thoughts and feelings, reducing stress and anxiety, and improving well-being.
During this course we will be learning how to recognize habitual mental patterns and change our responses to them. In order to achieve the most benefit out of the course, there is a strong emphasis on committing to practicing mindfulness daily at home using the guided audio meditations provided.
The program consists of 8 lessons lasting two hours each, plus an extra silent half-day retreat.
The course includes the following components:
• Telephone or Skype intake
• Guided mindfulness meditation during each class
• Guided instruction in mindful walking/movement
• Group discussions and ‘mindful’ sharing of experiences
• Inquiry into what you are experiencing at home and within each class
• Theoretical examination of how thoughts and emotions play a role in stress response
• Discourses on how to increase focused awareness within your daily life
• Workbook and audio downloads to assist in daily practice